The International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies was founded in 1985 for professionals to share information about the effects of trauma. ISTSS provides a forum for the sharing of research, clinical strategies, public policy concerns and theoretical formulations on trauma around the world
The National Center is research and educational center of excellence on PTSD. It provides information on PTSD and trauma; information generated internally through its extensive research program, and information synthesized from published scientific research and collective clinical experience that is efficiently disseminated to the field. The National Center for PTSD is an agency of the US Department of Veterans' Affairs.
The National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN) focuses on childhood trauma. It has information and resources for health care professionals, school personel and parents and care givers.The Network is funded by the Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, US Department of Health and Human Services through a congressional initiative: the Donald J. Cohen National Child Traumatic Stress Initiative.
The Sidran Traumatic Stress Institute develops and delivers:
- educational programming
- resources for treatment, support, and self-help
- trauma-informed community and professional collaboration projects
- publications about trauma and recovery
The EMDR Institute™, offers quality trainings in the EMDR™ methodology, a treatment approach which has been empirically validated in over 24 randomized studies of trauma victims.
Screening and assessment
- ISTSS offers a number of assessment resources, including assessment measures and testing manuals.
- The Assessment of complex trauma section of the NCTSN website includes links to standardized screening and assessment measures.
- National Center for PTSD assessment overview
- developed for health providers working with children and youth --covers epidemiology; screening and assessment; management and treatment
Understanding the links between adolescent trauma and substance use: a toolkit for providers (National Child Traumatic Stress Network)
PTSD toolkit for nurses (American Nurses foundation)
- The PTSD toolkit is a self-directed e-learning program designed to teach or reinforce Nurses' knowledge about the treatment of veteran's with PTSD. Developed by the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing.
The trauma-informed toolkit (Klinic Community Health Centre, 2013)
- developed for service providers who work with adults who have been affected by trauma.
- Connections between traumatic stress reactions and health outcomes
- How implementing Trauma-Informed Pediatric Care can help to address other important goals:
- Family-centered pediatric care
- Improving the quality of care
- Patient satisfaction
Australian Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health: Promoting recovery after trauma: The Australian Guidelines for the Treatment of Acute Stress Disorder and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. (2013)
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE): Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): The management of PTSD in adults and children in primary and secondary care (2005)
US Department of Veterans' Affairs: Management of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Acute Stress Reaction (2010)
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies: Effective Treatments for PTSD, Second Edition (2008)
American Psychiatric Association: Treatment of Patients with Acute Stress Disorder and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (2005, guideline watch 2009)
World Health Organization: Guidelines for the management of conditions specifically related to stress.( 2013):
World Health Organization: Guidelines for essential trauma care (2004):
International association for the study of trauma and dissociation: Guidelines for Treating Dissociative Identity Disorder in Adults (2011):
Working with Trauma Survivors: What Workers Need to Know (US Department of Veterans' Affairs)
Online courses and webinars
- The ISTSS has a list of online learning resources
- NCTSN Learning Center: Webinars and online continuing education
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Implications for Primary Care (Independent study course, 2002, US Department of Veterans Affairs)
Patient / client education
PTSD Coach Canada (mobile app,Veterans' Affairs Canada)
- helps people learn about and manage symptoms that can occur after trauma
- handouts, videos and apps for veterans, families, friends and the general public
- online self-care course for clients and families
- links to videos, tutorials, research summaries, patient handouts
heretohelp: PTSD factsheet
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and War-Related Stress (Veterans' Affairs Canada, 2008)
- guide for veterans and their families
Understanding and coping with PTSD (NAMI, 2011)
- module from the NAMI family-family program
Treatment Approaches: Evidence base
Cochrane review: Psychological therapies for chronic post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in adults (2013):
Institute of Medicine: Treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in Military and Veteran Populations (2012):
- (Chapter 7 is a review of the evidence for "various approaches to treatment"—includes a section on "emerging therapies for ptsd") and a chart comparing treatment recommendations from 5 clinical guidelines.
Trauma and substance use
Guidelines for Trauma-Informed Practices in Women's Substance Use Services (Jean Tweed Centre, 2013):
- Seeking Safety is an evidence-based, present-focused counseling model to help people attain safety from trauma and/or substance abuse. It directly addresses both trauma and addiction, but without requiring clients to delve into the trauma narrative.