Click here to see the meta data of this asset.
Resources for professionals
- Best Start alcohol and pregnancy resources: Includes a range of resources for primary care providers on preventing and addressing alcohol use in pregnancy, as well as patient information.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. (2005). Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician's Guide. Bethesda, MD: Author.
- A care provider's guide to the initial management of alcohol use disorders.
- Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. (2009). Incorporating Alcohol Pharmacotherapies into Medical Practice (PDF). Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 49. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Provides clinical guidelines for the proper use of medications in the treatment of alcohol use disorders in the United States.
- Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. (2009). Substance Abuse Treatment: Addressing the Specific Needs of Women. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 51. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 09-4426. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Health Canada. (2001). Best Practices: Treatment and Rehabilitation for Women with Substance Use Problems.
- Health Canada. (2001). Best practices: Fetal alcohol syndrome/fetal alcohol effects and the effects of other substance use during pregnancy. (PDF)
- Health Canada. (2002). Best practices – Treatment and Rehabilitation for Seniors with Substance Use Problems.
- Health Canada. (2006). Best Practices – Early Intervention, Outreach and Community Linkages for Women with Substance Use Problems.
- Carson, G., Vitale Cox, L., Crane, J., Croteau, P., Graves, L., Kluka, S., Koren, G. et al. (2010). Alcohol use and pregnancy consensus clinical guidelines. (PDF) Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, 32 (8): Supplement 3.
Handbooks and guides
The following print publications are published by CAMH and are available through the CAMH Publications catalogue:
- Highs & Lows: Canadian Perspectives on Women and Substance Use. A collection of expert and personal writings that address the unique needs and circumstances of women with substance use problems.
- Improving Our Response to Older Adults with Substance Use, Mental Health and Gambling Problems: A Guide for Supervisors, Managers and Clinical Staff. Information, tools and guidance on working effectively with older adults with substance use, mental health and gambling problems.