Who is at risk of developing a gambling problem?
Problem gambling does not discriminate. It is not specific to any one group and can affect people regardless of age, gender and cultural background.
However, there are some factors that make people more vulnerable to developing a gambling problem, including:
- mistaken beliefs about the odds of winning at gambling
- a "big win" early in a person's gambling history
- a history of substance use, gambling or overspending problems
- a family history of substance use, gambling or overspending problems
- a history of mental health problems, particularly depression, stress or trauma
- loneliness, chronic boredom or lack of leisure activities
- a habit of using gambling or substances to cope with negative feelings or events
- a tendency toward impulsive behaviour
- financial problems.