Click here to see the meta data of this asset.
Types of problem gambling services in Canada
Community treatment is available in most provinces, for individuals who are experiencing problems related to gambling. The following are some of the services available:
- Individual Counselling allows clients to meet one-on-one with a problem gambling counsellor to address gambling-related problems.
- Telephone Counselling is available in some jurisdictions. This allows individuals who are unable to attend in person, or who are not comfortable attending in person, to get the support that they need.
- Group Counselling is also available at some agencies. This offers clients the opportunity to:
- discover that they are not alone and that others also struggle with gambling problems;
- give and receive support and encouragement; and
- give and receive immediate feedback about concerns, issues and problems affecting one's life.
- Couples and Family Counselling is available at most agencies, to help significant others address gambling related issues that have impacted them.
- Day and Residential Treatment are also available in some provinces. This more intensive form of treatment may be suitable for individuals who:
- struggle with serious or severe problem gambling behaviours;
- struggle with serious or severe problem gambling behaviours, in conjunction with complex health and/or social issues;
- are ready for change;
- prefer this option;
- face environmental issues (e.g. homelessness, undermining family environment);
- do not have the availability of other services or supports in the community; and
- have been unsuccessful in past attempts (at least once) at community based problem gambling treatment.