What happens in gambling treatment?
There are many different approaches to gambling treatment around the world. In general, most problem gambling agencies in Canada use a similar approach. It is important to remember, however, that in some jurisdictions, individual counsellors may have very different views.
Gambling counsellors can help clients and family members learn how to:
- cope with the negative consequences of gambling;
- gain control over the gambling;
- cope with the feelings resulting from the negative consequences;
- address resulting health problems;
- heal family relationships;
- find balance in their lives; and
- prevent relapse back to gambling.