Click here to see the meta data of this asset.
Anxiety: The primary care provider role
What to expect of a primary care clinician
- Follow up on complaints of anxiety.
- Clarify the major anxiety symptoms, use screening questions.
- Discuss probable diagnosis.
- Offer psychoeducation about self-help, psychotherapy, medication use.
- Refer for community-based self-help if available.
- If time and resources allow, provide:
- self-help with assistance
- brief exposure-based treatment
- more intensive treatment if trained counsellors are available in the practice setting
- Offer medication treatment:
- second SSRI or SNRI +/- BZD
- second SSRI or SNRI
- specific augmentation
Generalised anxiety disorder and panic disorder in adults: management (NICE guideline CG113 2011)
Social anxiety disorder: recognition, assessment and treatment (NICE guidelines CG159, 2013)