Click here to see the meta data of this asset.
Psychosis: The primary care provider role
What to expect of a primary care clinician
- Diagnose and carry out initial screening for underlying medical illnesses.
- Assess suicide risk.
- Initiate treatment and monitor treatment response and symptom severity.
- Monitor extrapyramidal symptoms.
- Monitor metabolic and cardiovascular risk factors for all patients prescribed antipsychotic medication, particularly SGAs, regardless of which physician is prescribing antipsychotic medications(see table 7.2: Recommended monitoring guidelines).
- Manage comorbid somatic illnesses.
- Refer when necessary.