Psychosis: Screening, assessment and diagnosis
Quick screening questions for psychotic symptoms include:
- Have you had any strange or odd experiences lately that you can't explain?
- Do you ever hear things that other people can't hear, such as noises, or the voices of other people whispering or talking?
- Do you ever have visions or see things that other people can't see?
- Do you ever feel that people are bothering you or trying to harm you?
- Has it ever seemed like people were talking about you or taking special notice of you?
- Are you afraid of anything or anyone?
Answering "yes" to any of these questions indicates the need for a more detailed assessment with a specialist. In addition, it is always important to obtain corroborating information from caregivers or others close to the patient.