Heritage Skills Development Centre
Heritage Skills Development Centre (HSDC) is a grassroots non-profit organization that was established in 1993. It was founded by a concerned group of women who observed a gap in the integration services available to immigrants and visible minorities in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
Our Mandates are:
- To promote the health, social, cultural, and economic self-sufficiency of at-risk youth, new immigrants and other marginalized groups
- To assists clients in becoming active contributors to, and beneficiaries of, the Canadian economy
- To enable newcomers to settle and integrate through supportive counseling and referral services
- To contribute to poverty reduction and self-sufficiency through capacity building programs, self-employment creation, life skills development, etc
- To assist in employment service through various skills development training programs
- To provide self support mechanisms that further social integration and self reliance for visible minority individuals
HSDC assists families in building stronger foundations through integrative and empowerment programs and services. With more than 18 years experience, and being located in a priority neighbourhood of Scarborough, HSDC understand the issues that often hinder or delay the abilities of individuals to become self-sufficient. Our staff and volunteers are of diverse cultural and linguistic background, allowing us to effectively serve our clientele. Through our initiatives, we have empowered and helped to build the capacity of at-risk and marginalized children, youth, women, seniors and families in our priority community.
The Key Activities that HSDC provides are briefly mentioned below:
- Capacity Building: Youth Entrepreneurship Program, After School Program for Children and Youth, Life/Survival Skills Development, , Business Integration Training Program & Small Business Development Opportunities, Employment Preparation, Job Search Workshops, Leadership Skills Development, Basic Sewing and Fashion Design Training, Computer and Internet Training Program French as a Second Language Program, etc.
- Social Programs: Our social programs include: Community Workshops, Community Outreach Support, Translation & Interpretation Services, Single Mom's Support Group, Crime Prevention Program, Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention, HIV/ AIDS Prevention and Education, Supportive Network Services, Volunteer Development Program, Leadership Skills Development, Senior Support Network. etc.
- Referral & Information Services: HSDC provides support and referral to the justice system, legal professionals, health care services, educational institutions, interpretation services, shelters and housing, specialized counselling centres, and other social services.
- Supportive Counseling Services: Supportive counseling services are provided for at-risk individuals and victims to help overcome isolation, stress, depression and build their resiliency.
- Mentorship Services: These programs help victims of crime and at-risk individuals to build resiliency, self-esteem, confidence and pursue their career goals.
HSDC Office and Programs
400 McCowan Road Scarborough, ON. M1J 1J5
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
There are occasional evening and weekend programs.