Getting started with environmental supports
Devices for recording and tracking progress
Some basic CAT supports help a lot of people. The purpose is to get the person to start doing something and to experience a quick success.
Three common strategies:
- Using an activity log or checklist
- Hanging up a large calendar
- Tracking medication with pill containers
Supports that address memory and attention difficulties
Many of the supports listed above help people bypass problems with attention and memory.
Placing a toothbrush and toothpaste in direct view and posting signs as reminders to brush may help someone to start brushing.
This section of the manual includes two lists of strategies:
- for the person who has memory problems
- for the person who has trouble paying attention to things they see or hear.
Targeting specific activities for support
To help you we have provided a template for a CAT Intervention Diary.