Basic strategies for everyday living
For people with challenges, sorting out the basics of life can sometimes be difficult and limit a person’s quality of life.
Without the basics it is hard to feel good about oneself, get out of the house in an organized way, and get on with important aspects of life—in leisure, friendships and work. These areas are not necessarily problems for everyone with schizophrenia: some people may find certain basics of life to be challenging and others not at all.
No one sets laundry and toileting as life goals. When working on basics like these, alwasy discuss them as a step to a more important life goal.
We provide information about strategies in three different ways:
- Videos in which actors demonstrate the strategies in real world environments
- A list of supplies for each activity
- Illustrations with suggested supports and a list with information about how the supports could be used
Included in this section:
- Dental hygiene
- Applying make-up
- Keeping the home clean and tidy
- Healthy eating and cooking
- Doing laundry
- Managing medication
- Video 3: Schizophrenia and family--Trouble getting started--High support
- Video 4: Schizophrenia and family--Trouble getting started--Low support
- Video 5: Schizophrenia and family--Trouble staying organized--High support
- Video 6: Schizophrenia and family--Trouble staying organized--Low support