Resources for patients and families
Brochures and handouts
Links to printable brochures and handouts that can be given directly to patients or displayed in your clinic waiting room. These resources are designed to provide your patients with factual information about smoking and smoking cessation.
- My Change Plan: Workbook for Making Health Changes was developed by the TEACH Project as an interactive managed self-care tool that supports patients address their smoking. The easy-to-read 52 page booklet provides basic information on nicotine replacement therapy and other smoking cessation medications, the process of behaviour change and relapse prevention.
- Do You Know . . . Tobacco: Factual information from CAMH about tobacco, smoking and nicotine dependence.
- Health Benefits of Quitting Smoking: Information about the short- and long-term benefits of stopping smoking
- What Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms Can I Expect? A useful handout for patients who are planning to quit smoking.
- Smokers' Helpline: A Canadian Cancer Society program that includes a 24-hour phone support service.
- Quitting Smoking: This section of the Canadian Lung Association's website includes helpful suggestions for patients.
- Quitnet is an online self-help group and structured smoking cessation program sponsored by the private company Healthways.
Information about medications
- Nicoderm: Useful information on NRT medication for patients, from the pharmaceutical company website.
- Myths and Facts of Nicotine Replacement Therapies: A useful handout adapted for patients' use from the Ontario Medical Association's 2008 position paper "Rethinking Stop-Smoking Medications: Treatment Myths and Medical Realities"
- "Why Do I Smoke?": A quiz created by the American Academy of Family Physicians to help patients be clear about the psychological, social and physical factors related to their smoking. The quiz is designed to be self-administered by a patient.