- Facilitating smoking cessation
- Overview of nicotine replacement therapy
- Recommending nicotine replacement therapy
- Other medications for smoking cessation
- Acupuncture and hypnosis
- Smoking cessation with specific populations
- Billing for smoking cessation treatment
- Smoking cessation treatment: References
Acupuncture and hypnosis
Is there evidence that acupuncture or hypnosis are effective in smoking cessation?
While many patients report that they feel more relaxed after auricular acupuncture or hypnotherapy, there is little evidence to recommend their use in smoking cessation. While there may be a transient relaxation response, this does not appear to translate into higher rates of abstinence.
Nonetheless, while studies have not found improved abstinence rates using acupuncture or hypnosis, individual patients may find these modalities beneficial and should not be discouraged from using them. Acupuncture and hypnosis tend to be expensive and time consuming; therefore, neither can be recommended when more effective therapies are available.