Click here to see the meta data of this asset.
Information for Providers
TeleMental Health Etiquette: DO
- Have a well-lit (though not too bright) office with an appropriate colour (light blue or grey) wall or background.
- Have a quiet and private space.
- Sit facing the screen. Look at the double screen to see how the other participant will see you.
- Introduce yourself.
- Use double identifiers to confirm the client's identity.
- Describe the process, expectations, and technology setup.
- Explain privacy and confidentiality.
TeleMental Health Etiquette: DON'T
- Don't act inappropriately while in front of a televideo unit. It might be on.
- Don't use equipment without understanding functions and best practices.
- Don't start session without reviewing the patient chart. Remember to use double identifiers!
- Don't shout. Microphones are sensitive.
- Don't have your room door open for anyone to come in during the session. Information must stay confidential.
- Don't just wear professional attire above the waist.
- Don't eat or chew gum.
- Don't have side conversations.
- Don't have your cell phone ringer on.
- Don't forget to use the camera in camera feature to see what you look like to the client.
- Explain what to do in a crisis or if medical assistance is needed.